Subject: Re: Priestesses, Bards and Warriors
From: Anne Marie Casey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Sep 1994 08:59:03 EDT

There is a wonderful bibliography of women in the middle ages that was
published in Choice Magazine a couple of years ago.  I would highly
recommend it as a starting point.  You can find "Choice" in most libraries.

  Schaus, Margaret & Stuard, Susan Mosher, "Citizens of no mean city:
  medieval women's history", CHOICE, Dec., 1992, v.30, n.4, p.583 (12 pages).

I have been interested for a long time in information on women in the early
middle ages in Ireland and Britain.  My particular interest has been in
abbesses of double monasteries (nuns and monks in the same institution).
Some of these abbesses had considerable power.  They were not warriors
or priestesses; however they do stand out.  The best work on this that I
have come across is a dissertation done at Princeton University in 1991 by
Catherine Peyroux, entitled "Abbess and cloister: double monasteries in
the early medieval west".  It contains a chapter on early Christian Ireland
with a good section on what is known about the origins of the monastery at
Kildare and St. Brigid.  You can get it through Inter-library Loan.

Anne Marie Casey
Off-Campus Library Services
Central Michigan University
Mt. Pleasant, Michigan