The Celts and the Sea

Ellen Sinatra <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Fri, 16 Sep 1994 08:46:00 -0700

Ingo Mittendorf wrote:
> A friend of mine is looking for literature on
> "The Celts and the Sea" and/or "The Sea and Death", the attitudes of Celtic
> peoples towards these subjects. Does anybody know about books or articles
> that are dealing (at least partially) with these topics - and are perhaps
> even referring to "classical tales"?

For the moment, I'll leave the academic references to others...
but I have one book sitting here that is worth a look:
"Sula: The Seabird-hunters of Lewis" by John Beatty,

"Sula" describes the annual trip to Sula Sgeir of a selected group of men
from the Isle of Lewis in the Hebrides to gather a harvest of gugas -
young gannets which are then "pickled in salt to be eaten during the winter."
It describes the Celts' relation to the sea and the islands as part of their
cultural survival... Beautiful book.

I'll be interested in the academic references from people too.

Le durachdan,
Ellen Sinatra ([log in to unmask])