Subject: David Carson
From: Don Hosek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Sep 1994 21:55:40 -0800

> BUT. . . .  I am new on this BBS and I want to know your opinion in the typogr
> pher/graphic designer- DAVID CARSON.  I, as a designer, see him as a whole new
> way for my generation of desingers, he has given us freedom only once had been
> thought to be a crazy and now you are seeing replicas of his work EVERYWHERE!!

That would be the problem with Carson and the rest of Design
Typography: The value is largely in novelty and the novelty is quickly
wearing off. On a flight back in June I looked across the aisle at
another passenger's reading material. There was an article with the
headline set in Template Gothic and the text set in a traditional text
face (I couldn't tell from where I sat). It seemed the epitome of bad
taste, kind of like using a wheelchair as a fashion accessory. The
best new design, goes all the way, and risks completely losing the
reader because it subordinates the text to the design. In fact, Design
Typography is not about communication at all, I don't think.

> He has open doors that were once seemed impossible to open, and I know there h
> s to be some traditionalists out there- I am only asking for your opinion.
>
> Personally, I feel he has made a boom in the graphic design world, and this is
> prevalent by the HUGE impact he has made in the younger generation- he, and ot
> ers like him are setting the styles to come, and I just want to know if you ar
>  excited about it as I am.

I think that like all radical breaks in typographic design, the impact
will be limited and short-lived. For all the energy expended by the
Bauhaus-influenced new typographers of the 20s and 30s, when's the
last time you saw a book typeset in Futura? Heck when's the last time
you saw a magazine article typeset in Futura?

-dh

--
Don Hosek                                       "The Only Solution is Love"
Quixote Digital Typography                                    -Dorothy Day