LIR-L  September 1994

LIR-L September 1994

LIR-L HEA Librarians List <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Sep 1994 09:57:35 +0000

        id m0qqHKd-0000AnC; Thu, 29 Sep 94 09:59 BST
From: [log in to unmask] (lirfilter)
Subject: Internet Training Material for Librarians (fwd)
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 09:59:15 +0200 (BST)

Forwarded message:
From UCG.IE!Peter.Corrigan Thu Sep 29 09:30:05 1994
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 09:28:13 +0000 (GMT)
From: Peter D Corrigan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Internet Training Material for Librarians
To: [log in to unmask]

Message forwarded by LirFilter>

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 14:56:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: Cathy Thomas <[log in to unmask]>

The Internet Training Program Notebook developed at Columbia
University Libraries is now available via anonymous FTP.

HOSTNAME:  ftp.cc.columbia.edu
DIRECTORY:  pub/cul/itp
FILENAMES:  please see the README file reproduced below

At Columbia University Libraries, a semester-long Internet training
program has been designed to teach librarians the skills necessary for
using the Internet, compiling subject-specific Internet pathfinders and
serving as Internet trainers.  This program was first presented during the
spring 1993 semester, and has been offered every semester since then.
Eventually, approximately 130 librarians at Columbia University will have
participated in this training program.  In support of the program, we
created the training notebook outlined below.

Please be advised that most of our Internet training documentation is
specific to the Columbia University Libraries environment: for example, it
has been written for our Internet host machine which runs on a UNIX-based
operating system, our mail readers (MM and Pine), our text editors (EMACS
and PICO), our USENET reader (TRN), and our communications software
(Kermit).  However, we realize that our documentation might be of some use
to other Internet trainers, and so we have made it available in this FTP
archive.

The files below are in Macintosh .hqx format and must be converted using
binhex 4.  Each archived file will self-expand into a folder containing
individual files for each subsection.  All files are in Macintosh Word
format.

01pref.hqx -- PREFACE
Contains information in support of and about the Columbia University
Libraries Internet Training Program, such as the syllabus, reserve reading
list, tips for trainers, and evaluation forms.

02email.hqx -- EMAIL
Contains documentation about the MM mail reader, and some practice
exercises.

03kermit.hqx -- KERMIT
Contains a training outline and documentation covering Kermit file
transfers, session logging and screen capture, and some practice
exercises.

04over.hqx -- OVERVIEW
Contains training transparencies covering an overview of the Internet,
including history, terms, and concepts, and a brief glossary.

05cuhost.hqx -- COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY'S INTERNET HOST
Contains a training outline, transparencies, and documentation covering
Internet applications available on our Internet host, comparison of our
Internet host machine and microcomputers, comparison of UNIX and DOS,
essential UNIX commands, space management, searching text files stored on
our Internet host machine, getting online help.  Also contains some
practice exercises.

06ftp.hqx -- FTP
Contains a training outline and documentation covering FTP including
interpreting citations, using temporary directories, file formats and
compression types.  Also contains some practice exercises.

07telnet.hqx -- TELNET
Contains a training outline and documentation covering telnet, TN3270, and
Hytelnet.  Also contains some practice exercises.

08groups.hqx -- SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS & NEWSGROUPS
Contains a training outline and documentation covering USENET newsgroups,
listserv mailing lists, and non-listserv mailing lists.  Also contains
some practice exercises.

09disca.hqx -- DISCOVERING RESOURCES PART A
Contains a training outline and documentation covering using directory
services to find addresses and using Archie.  Also contains some practice
exercises.

10discb.hqx -- DISCOVERING RESOURCES PART B
Contains a training outline and documentation covering ColumbiaNet
(Columbia University's campus-wide information system), Gopher, and
Veronica.  Also contains some practice exercises.

11discc.hqx -- DISCOVERING RESOURCES PART C
Contains a training outline and documentation covering WAIS and World-Wide
Web (WWW).  Also contains some practice exercises.

12review.hqx -- TIPS AND REVIEW
Contains a training outline and documentation covering strategies for
compiling Internet pathfinders, a general review, and Internet etiquette.
Also contains some practice exercises.

Catherine M. Thomas                     email:  [log in to unmask]
User Services Librarian                 phone:  (212) 854-8355
201 Butler Library                      fax:    (212) 222-0331
Columbia University
New York, NY 10027