Subject: Re: celtic paganism
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sat, 27 Aug 1994 07:29:00 -0700

        What is your proposal? Should we erase history for politically correct
reasons protective of the emotions of the faithful. My comments were by way of
response to remarks lacking in historical objectivity, attacking gnostic
spirituality as "counter cultural" in a manner suggestive of reiteration of
the old "gnostic heresy" argument.
        Being on Celtic-L for less than two  weeks I find it interesting
Celtic revivalists and Celtic Catholics meet in disagreement; all that seem
missing are the Protestants. My sympathies lie with the neo-Celtics.

        As for Father Serra's status you might check with California
historical annals and the objections of what's left of the Native American
population there. He may have been beautified by Rome but the fact remains he
is a symbol of arrogant religious fascism to most Californians - or at least
those whose eyes are not blinded by the "true faith." Behavior of Serra's
missions ranks as a low spot in human history - especially religious history.
One feels the Christ would be appalled that such unloving, inhumane treatment
of an indigenous population would have been perpetuated in his name.