Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Obsolete elements -- trying again
From: "Leo _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Peace is not something you win. Peace is"
Date:Fri, 26 Aug 94 10:28:25 EDT

> OBSOLETE ELEMENTS [WAS: HTML 2.0 CALL FOR REVIEW ]
> "Daniel W. Connolly" <[log in to unmask]>
> * Reply: Peter Flynn: "Re: Obsolete Elements [Was: HTML 2.0 Call for Review ]"
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Obsolete Elements [Was: HTML 2.0 Call for Review ]
> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 15:08:28 -0500
> From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> In message <[log in to unmask]>, Dave Raggett writes:
> >
> >    o   <!ENTITY % pre "PRE | XMP | LISTING">
> >
> >Doesn't this make it hard to test for obsolete elements with SGMLS?
> >I would prefer to see them defined in a marked section so that
> >its easy to switch obsolete elements in/out of the DTD for testing.
>
> Good idea.
>
> What's the general consensus out there about obsolete elements?
>
> The only ones I know of are XMP and LISTING.
>
> Should we even mess with putting them in the DTD? Or should we just
> stick a note in the spec about how implementations are encouraged
> to include this hack?
>
> Dan

Dan,

I was wondering why XMP and LISTING are being made obsolete.  They are
very useful when you want to return system error messages to the user
during the execution of a script.  I can't use PRE because Lynx will get
confused when there is an unadorned "<".

Is there any chance that the obsolete status of XMP and/or LISTING can
be changed?

Leo