Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

IRTRAD-L Home

IRTRAD-L  June 1994

IRTRAD-L June 1994

Re: The commercialization of Irish music

Susan Cross <[log in to unmask]>

Irish Traditional Music List <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 25 Jun 1994 20:57:42 -0400

On Wed, 22 Jun 1994, George Keith wrote:

> I agree with Clyde.  As would Martin Hayes (I think).  There was an
> interview with Martin in _Fiddler_Magazine_ that I found quite
> inspiring.  He pointed out that music has become so passe in this day
> and age that people no longer *listen* to it.  They snap their fingers
> and it's there, in the background of whatever they are doing: driving
> their car, cleaning the house, programming computers, etc.
> Traditional music is meaning less and less to the people that listen
> to it.

     Just a comment here about music being on in the background.  I can't
say enough for ear-training.  I feel like I play music today because my
Mom always had some symphony or pop music on the stereo from the time I
ws an infant til I grew up.  I was able to fake an orchestra audition
once by playing an entire section of Dvorak's 5th by ear.  I got in -they
thought I was sight reading.  Kids who grow up with music all around them
generally have an "intuitive" feel for rhythm and pitch.  Ask me if you
want to hear the story about the kid who learned a piece in the womb.
     I keep tunes on the tape-player all the time when I'm doing  other
things.  Then when I hear those tunes in a session, I can usually play
them the first time.  When the tape stops it's like the oxygen has been
removed.  I have to have my background music like a drug.  But hey, it's
learning by osmosis.  How can you beat that?

Susan Cross

> > Nowadays, rather than
appreciate the music when it is available to