IRTRAD-L June 1994

First Bodhran (again)

Richard Griffiths <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Jun 1994 14:30:00 BST-1

Matt

> First:
> What is the best way to learn how to play?  Is there a good
> somebody who was saying that he learned to play by going to
> sessions.  Any comments on that?

Fine, a good idea! Find someone who plays, explain to them the situation
and hopfully they'll pass on some hints or tips on how to play. Try not
to play on the really fast stuff first off :)!

Always remember that the other musicians are there to enjoy themselves as
well! So try not togo over the top in your first session! I did and I'm
still apologising .... :) and that was 6 years ago ....!

If you can, play along to Irish trad recordings at home. They'll give you
examples of some of the tunes you'll come across and give you a chance to
hear different rhythms and techniques. Failing that, learn to hum or
'lilt' a few tunes of different rhythms (jigs, reels, slip jigs, dances,
slides, etc.) to play along to!

There are a number of tape/book tutors available over here. If you have
any problems finding any, mail me and I'll see what I can do about
getting something sent over.

> Second:
> What should I do to keep it up?  I heard somebody say something
> about wetting the back of the skin before playing.  What kind
> of long time care should I give the Bodhran?

Here we go .. an extract from my notes follows :

-

The basic rules are easy to follow. Keep the drum in a warm, moderately
dry atmosphere when not in use. As a guide .. somewhere where you would
like to sit would do nicely!

If you travel with the drum, put it in a decent case and not a plastic
bag. If at all possible get a hard or wooden case made (they are
available - I've got two and it's made life a lot easier and the drum
last a lot longer.) Never leave it locked in a car on a hot day, or on a
sunny window sill, or it will rip apart with one helluva bang!

If the drum gets too tight and pingy, put some water on the inside of the
skin. Use only a little and rub it in well. To keep the skin in good
order,  use a small amount of preservative like dubbin, neatsfoot oil,
(or musk oil is quite popular in the states?) ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE SKIN
ONLY, every six months or so. This keeps it lasting longer.

Contrary to the popular myth the best place for beer is in your stomach
and not on your drum. Anyway the alcohol will dry the skin out in the
long run.

Give it a general six monthly service - oil the drum, check that the skin
is not pulling away from the nails and check the rim for damage, etc. If
there are any problems take it to the maker to get sorted out.

Hmm, that sounds sensible enough to include in my notes .. damm, here
comes another chapter :)!

When playing the drum can also go the other way and become too slack to
play! Never play it in those conditions. Try and warm the skin up using
INDIRECT heat - the sun, the back of your hand can also make a different.
My solution is to use a hairdryer - not as macho as a paint stripper or
blow gun, but it does the job. Some players use light boxes to place the
drum on top of to warm them up that way. However, sometimes its too humid
to play anyway!

Sometimes the skin can become too slack. The ideal plan is to take it to
the maker to get the drum restretched or to get a new skin. If you need
the drum in a hurry there is the one time only solution of soaking the
skin and letting it dry off for a couple of days. I would NOT suggest
this without first consulting with the maker!!!! Also you can insert
strips of rolled up paper under the rim to increase the tension that way.

In all cases please talk to the maker before planning anything
drastic!!!!

-
I'm planning to release a 'How to play guide' on the net, for inclusion
in the ceolas archive . With any luck it should be in the next month or
so :) !

I'm now in the process of dredging through my notes and getting together
some other information, so it will take me a few weeks to get things tidy
enough to send out. If you're interested in a video guide, there's a new
video out in the UK by Steffan Hannigan which shows you how to play, it
looks rather good.  Once I get it back - it's currently at a local
school, who are starting a trad music group (Welsh, Irish and Scottish
stuff) - I will pass on the details!

Thanks for your interest!

Hwyl Fawr!

For Info :

Gerard Manning <[log in to unmask]> is carrying the Bodhran-making
guide on the Ceolas archive at celtic.stanford.edu. He's planning to have
a section of the archive on instruments, including some instruction on
what to buy, how to play, sources of tutors etc.

-- Richard Griffiths -------------------------- Casnewydd -- Cymru

-- Richard Griffiths -------------------------- Casnewydd -- Cymru --

 [log in to unmask]      '..cataplulatam habeo. Nisi
 [log in to unmask]          pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad
                                     caput tuum saxum immane mittam.'