Re: Ash Grove Lyrics

Steve Wolfe <[log in to unmask]>

Irish Traditional Music List <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 15 Jun 1994 08:16:07 -0500

>Can anyone provide me with the lyrics for "The Ash Grove" -- pretty please?
>
>Thanks -- Andi Wolfe

I saved this from the rec.music.celtic newsgroup...

From: [log in to unmask] ( ghost )
Subject: Re: The Ash Grove
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 1994 05:45:43 GMT

In article <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]
(Gail Gurman) writes:
>About six months ago, I posted a request for the lyrics to The Ash Grove and
>I got some good replies. However, somehow I lost them. I've checked out the
>various lyrics sources on gopher and haven't found what I'm looking for.
>
>What I want is the normal (often referred to as the "Girl Scout" version)
>lyrics and the Welsh lyrics. Any other versions are welcome.
>
>Incidentally, there are lyrics to this song in Rise Up Singing, but they're
>two English versions, one of which is similar to the "Girl Scout" lyrics,
>but not quite the same. In any case, I have Rise Up Singing, so I don't need
>those lyrics.
>
>Thanks very much.

Here's the summer/scout camp version, 1st verse courtesy of me
(with mistakes?),
2nd verse courtesy Dorthy Westphal ([log in to unmask]

: Down yonder green valley where streamlets meander
: When twilight is fading I pensively roam
: Or at the bright noontide in solitude wander
: Amid the dark shades of the lonely ashgrove *
: Tis there where the blackbird is cheerfully singing
: Each warbler enchants with his notes from a tree   **
: And then little think I of sorrow or sadness
: The ashgrove, the ashgrove
: Spells beauty for me

: *It could also be "lovely ashgrove" without much loss in meaning.

: ** a very logical phrase that always struck me as funny, somehow,
:    even though they *don't* usually sing on the ground;
:    maybe its the way the line is sung out so adamantly

:    <reading could also be
:     "each warbler enchants with each note from a tree">

: I don't think this version is horrible, so hope its the other one
: Robin Huw Bowen (Welsh triple-harp player) thinks is.

My laughter is over my step loses lightness
Old countryside measures steal soft on my ear
I only remember the past and its brightness;
the dear ones i long for again gather here.
from out of the shadow their loving looks greet me
and wistfully searching the leafy green dome
I find other faces fond bending to greet me
the ash grove the ash grove alone is my home.

Here's the very Victorian version, courtesy of Ty Warner
([log in to unmask]) back in 1991

>From "_FAMOUS SONGS OF WALES 1_" ("_CANEUON ENWOG CYMRU_")
c1987 GWYNN, Penygroes, Caernarfon, Gwynedd LL54 6DB
(Tel: 0286 881797)

LLWYN ONN (The Ash Grove)
-------------------------

1. Yn Nyffryn Llwyn Onn draw mi welais hardd feinwen
   A minnau'n hamddena 'rl byw ar y don;
   Gwyn ewyn y lli oedd ei gwisg, a disgleirwen
   A'r glasfor oedd llygaid Gwen harddaf Llwyn Onn.
   A ninnau'n rhodiana drwy'r lonydd i'r banna,
   Sibrydem i'n gilydd gyfrinach byd serch;
   A phan ddaeth hi'n adeg ffarwelio 'r wiwdeg,
   Roedd tannau fy nghalon yng ngofal y ferch.

   [Down yonder green valley where streamlets meander
    When twighlight is fading I pensively rove;
    Or at the bright moontide in solitude wander,
    Amid the dark shades of the lonely Ash Grove;
   'Twas there, while the blackbird was cheerfully singing,
    I first met that dear one the joy of my heart!
    Around us for gladness the bluebells were ringing,
    Ah! then little thought I how soon we should part.]

2. Cyn dychwel i borthladd wynebwn y tonnau,
   Ond hyfryd yw'r hafan 'rl dicter y don;
   Bydd melys anghofio her greulon y creigiau --
   Un felly o'wn innau 'rl cyrraedd Llwyn Onn.
   A thawel mordwyo wnaf mwyach  Gwenno
   Yn llong fach ein bwthyn a hi wrth y llyw;
   A hon fydd yr hafan ddiogel a chryno
   I'r morwr a'i Wenno tra byddwn ni byw.

   [Still glows the bright sunshine o'er valley and mountain,
    Still warbles the blackbird its note from the tree;
    Still trembles the moonbeam on streamlet and fountain,
    But what are the beauties of Nature to me?
    With sorrow, deep sorrow, my bosom is laden,
    All day I go mourning in search of my love!
    Ye echoes! oh tell me, where is the sweet maiden?
   "She sleeps 'neath the green turf down by the Ash Grove."]

The book gives the following commentary:

"   This is a very old harp melody and was first published
without words by Edward Jones (The King's Harpist) in _THE BARDIC
MUSEUMS_ in 1802.  It was published with words, probably some
four years later, in _WELSH MELODIES WITH APPROPRIATE ENGLISH
WORDS_.
"   Some authorities maintain that it was originally a dance
tune.  If that is so, it does not appear to be as old as some of
the well-known traditional folk dances, as the minuet time is of
a later period, originating in 18th Century France.
"   During this century it has been a popular counter-melody for
that unique Welsh practice of Penillion singing.
"   The Welsh words used here are of recent date, relating a
sailor's love for Gwen of Llwyn Onn.  Oliphant's English words,
however, end with sadness, relating the death of the loved one."

From: [log in to unmask] (Chris Cochems)
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 1994 16:35:57 GMT

From: Folk Songs of England, Ireeland, Scotland & Wales by William Cole:

The Ash Grove

LLWYN ON

     G                            Am            D7
The ash grove, how graceful, how plainly 'tis speaking

     G               C           G       D7  G
The harp through it playing has language for me

    G                           Am          D7
Whenever the light through its branches is breaking

   G            C        G     D7 G
A host of kind faces is gazing on me.

                              D7         C   G
The friends of my childhood again are before me,

                   Em        D      A7 D
Each step wakes a mem'ry, as freely I roam.

      G                    Am           D7
With soft whispers, it's leaves rustle o're me;

     G              C           G     D7  G
The ash grove, the ash grove alone is my home.

My lips smile no more, my heart loses its lightness
No dream of my future my spirit can cheer;
I only can brood on the past and its brightness,
The dead I have mourned are again living here.
From ev'ry dark nook they press forward to meet me;
I lift up my eyes to the broad leafy dome,
And others are there looking downward to greet me;
The ash grove, the ash grove alone is my home.

On mahl-os llween on gint, veh drig-i pen-dev-ig,
Ev-eh oith us-gwi-ahr ok ah-gloo'ith uh wlad;
Ok eeth-o een en-eth uh an-oid un een-ig,
Uh henol eer hon-es oith ire-es i thod.
Eith car-yod you gwail-ed, un lan uh feer lenk-en,
Ond cod-ire us gwi-ahr un ov-ahr ok arch
Ee saith-eer bach gen-en, ond gweer-oth i lin-in
I air-ged un oor-gam ee vun-wes i vairch.

Rhee hweer ud-oith gol-oo uh saith ot uh llin-in,
Ahr llan-kess un mor-oo un well-oo ah gwan;
Bug-uth-yoith i gleh-uv troo-ee gol-on uh llen-kin,
Ond nee red-i car-yod een vod-veth or von.
Royth gol-id i dar-par un hen ok on-een-od,
Uh gur-yi dew eth-av eer ire-ess harth hon,
Oith gwell gen-eev var-oo troo-ee air-ged vung har-yod,
Nah bew gid-da go-leed un muh-ha-lahs llween on.

Have fun,
Chris
--
My candle burns at both ends;                        | I fish therefore I am.
It will not last the night;                          |   Chris Cochems

Steve