Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Re: Other musical traditions

Alan Ng <[log in to unmask]>

Irish Traditional Music List <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 May 1994 18:12:15 CST

In Message Fri, 27 May 1994 14:18:28 -0500,
  Edward A Beimborn <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>i am curious how many out there also play Old Timey, French-Canadian,
>Cape Breton, Scots, etc instrumental music. I have found that there
>are 2 sorts of musicians- those who play from one tradtion, and those
>who encompass several. Has anyone else found a type of music that
>mixes well with celtic?

I specialize in Irish. You may know Dan the banjo player here in Madison,
who is also a jazz guitarist. Two other fiddlers here who mix: one
old-time, the other Cape Breton (Eric).

In the South Bay (SF Calif. area) I got the impression that many players at
Irish sessions "come from" old-time and bluegrass backgrounds.
                              Alan Ng Fax:(608)255-0650
Internet:[log in to unmask] Bitnet:alanng@wiscmac2