Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Re: Other musical traditions

Robert Borcherding <[log in to unmask]>

Irish Traditional Music List <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 May 1994 17:02:52 CDT

DB>i am curious how many out there also play Old Timey, French-Canadian,
Cape Breton, Scots, etc instrumental music. I have found that there

My background is: I started guitar in 1975, then in 1980 I finally believed I
could learn to play the fiddle, incited by McGurk's Saloon here in St. Louis
(Bowhand on a nightly basis!) chiefly out of O'Neill's, as dissected by
Krassen. Goofed around with that for a while - there were no places/people to
play with.

In 1985, I started fiddling for dances - New England & Irish stuff. Heard
Buddy MacMaster in 1987, was intrigued, took weeklong classes with him in 1990
& 1991 in Cape Breton style. All along been dabbling in old-timey (Midwest and
Appalachian). Morris Dance, (dare I say) English Country Dance (with a Cape
Breton flair!), and recently Scandinavian. I love playing for dancing - the
synergy, the symbiosis between players and dancers is fantastic (that's what
I'll be up to this weekend!).

I love the sound, the tone, the versatility of the fiddle! Also dabble in lots
of other instruments.

I wonder about how others got their start, found their tunes, kept their
interest up in Irish music. Must you live in Baltimore, Boston, Chicago,
Milwaukee? It's an uphill climb here in St. Louis.

Georgi - I'd be interested in how your playing developed. (did you read this,
or this far?)

Robert Borcherding, please address E-Mail as follows,
from INTERNET: [log in to unmask]
         UUCP: wupost.wustl.edu!sempco!robertb