Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Bealtaine
From: James Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 1 May 1994 23:09:06 -0400

Dia dibh,
Taim ag suil nach bhfhuair sibh mo litir deirneach. Seo chugainn anois La
Bealtaine. On sean aimsir, silim go bhfuil ceangailt (connection) idir an
Dia Bhean (goddess) Brighid, as scealta Tuatha De/ Dannann, na sean Celtoi,
mar a glaodh Julius Caesar ortha. Celts anois, a glaotar orthu.Cheapas, ach nilim cinnte go bhfuil ceangail idir and Bgrigid sin agus La Bealtaine, ma ta aon
scolaire amuigh annsin a fhuil fhios aige faoi, beadh me biodhach asat. Ins an
LEBOR Goba/la ta cuantas, nil se os mo choir amach anois direach, ach ta si/
ins an leabhair sin, "inionn Daghadha, filiochta," a bhi mar ainm uirthi. Mar
shampla, bhi dia darbh ainm Lugh, an tA/rd De/ mar a dearfa, agus Lughanasa
or August as we now call it, a bhi tughtadh don De sin. Se mo cheist - an raibh
Bealtaine tughta don Bhean De/ Brighid, roimhe sin Brigit, Celtic goddess.
The name means, I believe, `the exalted' which would put her "up there" with
the other gods of the Tuatha De/ Danann (which someone has already explained
to us as being "the people of the god Dana or Danann. My memory is getting
dimmed with age, but I think she is the same godess as the Welsh or British
celts referred to as Briganti, who may, in turn be related to the Gauls in
their minor tribes called Briganti. Caesar mentions Celtoi, which we assume
refers to Celts, and seems to think that Brighid is the same as Minerva. I
wonder if this might not be true, as Bealtaine is a Spring sowing time in
ireland, and to the best of my very old recall Brigid was supposed to protect
crops. Later, St. Brigid was supposedly called upon to do the same! Maith agaibhMise: [log in to unmask]      address:Massasoit Community College,
                                Brockton, MA 02339. USA. Jim Clarke. Thanks.