Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Fiddle amplification
From: George Keith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 29 Apr 1994 09:36:11 -0500

I have been wondering this for quite a while, and it occurred to me
that I might be able to pool your resources to help answer my
question. :)
I am looking to purchase a pick-up for my fiddle.  I will also need a
pre-amp most likely.  Does anybody out there know what the best (or at
least a good) setup is?  What brands?  Ideally, I would like to sound
just like a loud violin (I don't really go for the electric sound. . .
yet).  I would also prefer something that minimally effects the sound
quality when not amplified, as I still do most of my playing in
I've tried a fishman, and it sounded reasonably good, but I was
wondering if anybody knew of anything better?
Also, does anybody have a particular preference in terms of pre-amps?
Any recommendations?