Subject: Re: OUTRAGEOUS
From: Geoff Daley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 28 Apr 1994 20:57:30 PDT

Today, when I came into work, I found this:

>On Sun, 24 Apr 1994, Michael Everson wrote:

> Forwarded from WELSH-L

> I'm working on a paper in which I want to claim the Grail for women, see it
> as representaive of female fertility and creativity.  I can't find any
> scholarship that would support me in this.  Does anyone out there have any
> leads.  I did find an article by Christine Froula on Eliot and the
> Wasteland and an essay (without supporting references) by Geoffrey Ashe,
> but that's it.  I can use Jessie Weston at least to point in the fertility
> direction, but she doesn't go beyond the male.  Thanks for any help.
> Gabrielle

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!  THE HOLY GRAIL IS NOT, I REPEAT _NOT_ AN OBJECT TO
BE CLAIMED BY ANY BODY, GROUP, SEX, OR ORGANIZATION!  IT IS TO BE CLAIMED
BY JESUS CHRIST AND THOSE WORTHY OF IT ONLY!  MANKIND IS NOT TO CLAIM
IT.  I MEAN, IT'S LIKE CLAIMING THE HOLY COVENANT ARK FOR MANKIND.  I'M
TELLING THE POSTER THAT IT IS NOT A THING.  TO CLAIM SOMETHING AS HOLY AS
A POLITICAL ISSUE IS UNJUST.  I AM VERY RELIGIOUS AND I FIND THE FACT
THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT WANTS TO CLAIM SOMETHING HOLY TO
THEMSELVES TO BE SICKENING!  I'M NOT SAYING THIS TO BE SEXIST, HAD THE
MESSAGE WANTED TO CLAIM THE HOLY GRAIL, HOLY COVENANT ARK, OR EVEN THE
BIBLE FOR MEN, I'D BE OUTRAGED AS WELL.  I DEMAND THE PERSON TO REFRAIN
FROM WRITING THIS PAPER.  IT IS HUMILIATING TO THE CHRISTIAN PEOPLE
(ALTHOUGH THE CATHOLIC CHURCH DOES NOT RECOGNIZE IT BUT ITS TALE MAKES IT
SYMBOLIC) AND I FOUND IT VERY HUMILIATING TO MYSELF.  IT'S A SUNDAY AND
I'M ASHAMED TO READ SUCH AN OBSENE MESSAGE.
P.S.  I KNOW THAT CAPS ARE USED FOR YELLING ONLY.

First of all, who should be deemed by you to be worthy of the Grail?  Secondly
, the mythical Grail, was ensconsed in the Arthurian folklore by a romantic
poet named Robert de Boron, a French Catholic, who tried to make the Celtic
folklore more tolerable to the Christians, during an era of supreme
intolerance.  In essence, he used the Grail to help popularize the original
Arthurian legend, thus King Arthur was hence viewed as a Christian King,
reminiscent of the Medieval time period, instead of the warrior king he was
initially portrayed as.  The legends about the Grail, as told from a popular,
Christian viewpoint, state that the Grail may be used by anyone (read: only
men) seeking its miraculous healing properties, and spiritual insight.

I don't believe that Gabrielle was looking for a political relationship to the
Grail, as much as an acceptance of it in spite of a male-dominated, Christian
mythology.  I believe that was what the Grail was meant for.

Pondering life's mysteries
But not always accepting them

Geoff Daley