Caighdea/n Oifigiu/l

Michael Callaghan <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Mar 1994 23:36:00 EST

If Irish Gaelic is to succeed as living(i.e."growing")language an official
standard agreeable to all dialectic speakers must be established and adhered
to,don't you agree? Speaking from an American point of view,we have a problem
with the wide divergence between dialects. I am told that a speaker of Munster
Irish couldn't understand a speaker of Donegal Irish to save his life; if both
speakers must resort to English as a "lingua franca", then we are back to
 squareone, aren't we? Why not re-adopt the old bardic standard which died out
 after
Kinsale?To foreigners trying to learn the language it is very discouraging
to know that no matter which dialect one learns there will be only a specific
group able to understand one.