Re: Puns

Ossian Gillebert <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Tue, 29 Mar 1994 13:10:55 -0500

> "E-mail order Druid- yourself" is perhaps too
        Yes I'm afraid the punisment was all too! obvious, And if St.
Paddy hadn't driven the snakes ( or was that Druids?) out of Ireland why
all the darling coleens of Ire might be called little Druish Princesses today.
        But why did you get you fellings hurt, Did no one laugh at and
cleverest effort of that day?  Jees man is a bright pun and it inspired a
good bit of response.  Some jokes are a bit like fine chocolait , you just
eat them, smile, and enjoy the rush. :-)

> obscure a pun on the "mail-order do-it-yourself" movement,
> that ascribes to the belief that you can learn anything by mail-order reading.
> >From what I understand,  Druidic teaching and learning required
> considerable work,  especially in the form of rote memorization.
> The mnemonic devices of rhyme,  alliteration,  rhythm and playing on words
> are obvious precursors to the richness of Celtic Culture that is still extant.
> What is missing in the various neo-mystical movements is the entire cultural
> context.  If I may offer an analagous situation,  you may convert to
> another religion,  say Judaism or Catholicism, but you will not be
        Chances are it required(es) the skills to stretch beyond the
limits of Catholic Calisthenics, and to use the imageries of the mind that
perceive otherworld as a real place.  Or perhaps attending Temple in a
place that is not a place at a time that is not a time.  A I recall we
speak in languages but we think in images,  there the glorious words of
Poetry and song are but incitors of vibrant thought forms that turn into
fully percieved awarenesses. Our our preenscriptic forbearers were
required to learn numerious standardized verse and form inorder to keep
the thoughts alive.  And whether it was by process of rote learning and
glib recital is a subject for debate.  I for one have 200 songs in my
working repertoire for public performance of folk music, and close to 500
on the whole for use elsewhere.  But I have savored the learning of each
one and will continue to do so through out the remainder of my life.  But
I don't call my self a "Druidh".  However I do have an annoying habit of
Capitalizing odd words on the typing process to stress to myself and
sometimes to readers the Rhythem of a Given lyric, ar when I am writing a
speech to remind myself of points of emPhatic stress.  I have been doing
this for sooooLong that I somtimes forget that scholarly persons like
yourself get offset in the equalibrium, by the form an intercourse takes
rather than it's content.  Please forgive this unruly fingering technique.

> the same as an Israeli Jew or an Irish Catholic that has spent > their
entire lives immersed in that culture.
        You Assume that these converts are less than "Sabre".  Yet the
Converts I have met to both of the aforementioned faiths are "BETTER" at
the practice of the faith than those of us who were born to it. There is
the love of the faith at hand not the habit of it.

 > Your assumptions and unconciousreactions will not be the same.
 > If youoverlook the lack of cultural contest, you must also
> deal with the entire lack of human interaction.
How are you reacting to this reply just now?  Have you decided if this is
a flame or just a small lightning bolt in response to a critical and
perhaps personal affront on Your Part? :-)

>You are interested in Druidic thought?
> That's nice, maybe they have someinsight to offer.
>I have always been interested in the beliefs that
>are based in a veneration of Nature.  Now try to
> resolve the paradox ofsucking up that belief system
> from that cold glass teat in front of you
>now. Rather than dealing with the sights, smells and sounds of another
>human being, and learning from the experience, the on-line Druid College
>offers the coldest, most sterile and refined form of instant teaching.
>Do-it-yourself and Druid-yourself in the privacy of your own home, in
>the cold blue light of the CRT. These mailing lists are, at best, an
>opportunity for conversation that allows time for some thought before
>the reply. I offer Leslie Jones' (and others) recent posting on
Shamanism as an example.
> At worst, it is cybergraffitti, an interactive
> form of TV geared for instant gratification.
> I believe that the more scholarly postings here are
> an example of the former. What I have read so far about "Druid-L"
> suggests that it is the latter.  It is geared forinstant gratification
> rather than requiring the work and discipline the ancient Druids faced.
        Ok here we begin to agree.  The concept of at least two thirds of
a life time being spent in dedication to the learning of a Lifestyle/Faith
is more than most people are willing to bear up to.  The Good God (Dagda)
knows one must get drunk, prepare meals and rear children in the middle of
it all.  But on the other hand the obscurity of materials that were
unavailible until reciently was a frustration I and my fellows could have
done with out.  And one learns things from the oddest places too!
(Abstract Thought:)
The other day I took a Hackney (Taxi) and the driver was a Hindu.  He was
playing a cassette tape that was recorded live when last he was home.  I
thought it was a Scottish Throat singer singing in some islander Dialect
even the drumming sounded a bit like a bodhran.  I asked what it was, He
replied it was a Hindic Psalm. "How old?" I asked thinking (1200BCE?), I had
mayhap confirmed an indoeuropean linguistic and musical style connection.
His reply was "No from the times of the oral traditions, No one writes
these songs down. It's much older than the aryan writtings."
Yet i'd swear it sounded just like the type of throat sing I heard on the
Orkneys one cold bleak Samhuinn night. Then I asked "do you mean that
there are still oral traditions that maynot be written down?" "oh yes "
was his reply. " to write these things down would be to steal thier power,
these songs were taught to the priests by the high ones themselves."
( End of abstract thought:)
Back to the train of thought...
if the concept of the druid-l or equivelent thereof were to be animated
then it might only serve as a repository of resource material. and
exchanges of interpretations of that material.  Not however as the device
for a digital religious service.  And though the thought of teaching the
principle of hugging a tree via 2400 baude or snail mail sounds
challenging, methinks it a likley exersize of impersonal verbosity.
further and the last Item I will adress with you Today; I like the idea of
informative exchange but I am not trying to be the Golden Guru of druid-l
nor solicit extended students to a college of the dro/ieacht.  I was the
person who first replied in sarcasim to Mr.Erskine against the concept of
digital Majicke.  But from conversations via E-mail I have come to agree
that some format of information gathering and experience sharing might be
workable.

> Western culture in general could stand to revere
the cycles of Nature a bit more  (A lot more!)
> , I think. > But I read the various
Druidic postings here, and all it says to me
> is "Hoo boy.  ANOTHER New Ager that can't spell or control his capital
>letters".  Now that recycling is the order of the day, I suppose that > I
should not be surprised to see the various mystical fads of > the 1960's
resurfacing.
Sorry.  Been there.  Done that.  Bought the T-shirt. > Sign me off. It
takes too much bush-hogging to find the flowers like Jones' > . >
> Chris Tacker
Don't Call me a New ager, I'm not apacifist! and I do believe in kicking
the leg that steps on my toes.  So don't balme me if You wake up craving
flies in the morning :-)
May Your God go with You! -Ossian

--
  **** USENET: [log in to unmask] | Ph 1-404-681-3354 U.S.A.****