Subject: Re: Rowan trees
From: Wendy Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Feb 1994 08:53:47 -0600

In message Bruce Klaiss--Harper Blue writes:
>      >>...would the European Mountain Ash thrive in an upstate New York
>      >>environment?
>
>      A question in line with the above:  Is the tree allowed in the U.S., or
> is it illegal for import?  If it's here already, is it banned for shipment
> across state lines as an herbal pest (to preserve indigenous flora and
> control
> the spread), or is it benign?  After reading these messages on rowan trees
> (and being inspired by Anne McCaffrey's books), I'm curious about planting it
> myself, but don't want to set another starling loose over here.

When my husband and I finally bought a house and started planning landscaping,
we included Rowan on the list of trees we wanted. Our landscaper said nothing
about legality, but did commemnt that the European variety was not very hardy in
the Minnesota climate (type 4), so I imagine it wouldn't thrive in upstate NY
too well either. We are using the Showy Mountain Ash, a small tree (20-odd feet
tall) with a nice shape and lots of red berry clusters in the fall. We also have
oak and willow. Are there any other magical trees or plants I'm forgetting?

Wendy