Subject: Re: Scots vs. Irishmen
From: Samuel Shirley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Feb 1994 01:52:49 EST

Janet Wallwork <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Anyway, could someone please tell me where I could
> > obtain Archaeological report data on specific sites such as Dun Aonghosa,
> > Inis Mor and Hill of Tara?
>

> A good source of information on Irish archaeological sites is Peter
> Harbison's "Guide to National and Historica Monuments of Ireland",
> Gill and Macmillan, 1992. As well as grid references and a brief
> description, he does site relevant books and articles on each site.
> Unfortunately these references are often not very up to date, and in
> the case of the sites mentioned there is nothing recent.
> You would need to check British Archaeological Abstracts to see if
> any recent work has been published. (I fear it may not have been).
>

> There is a British periodical "Current Archaeology" which is very
> useful for letting you know who is working where, so you know who to
> contact.
> Also I believe there is one  called "Archaeology Ireland"  which may
> help.
>
> Janet L.Wallwork
> JRULM

Really? Thank you. I really appreciate it. I may have said this already
but my memory is terrible. I was at Dun Aonghosa this past summer and
whilst I was there, the group called THE DISCOVERY PROGRAMME was
excavating. They said that they would be done either by late 1993 or
early 1994. So perhaps it wouldn't be in "Guide........Monuments". I did,
however, write to both the Archaeological Services Unit of University
College, Galway and the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society.
Perhaps they could help as it seems, at least from their names, to be
dedicated especially for that.