Subject: Re: Scots vs. Irishmen
From: "Dennis M. Doyle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Feb 1994 20:12:04 -0800

On Tue, 8 Feb 1994, Michael Durkan wrote:

> >| Excuse this son of the Welsh, but Patrick was a Welshman, be not so loose
> >| with your attributions, please.
> >
> >  Patrick seems to have been from what is now Dumbarton in Strathclyde,
> >Scotland, at a time when this was an independent Brythonic-speaking
> >kingdom.  Later many of these people fled to Wales.  And Welsh is the
> >surviving tongue of the parent family which was spoken here.  So in that
> >broad sense, one might say that Patrick was Welsh.
>
> Has Bannavem Taberniae, Patrick's birthplace according to his Confessio,
> been identified?

From my reading, I don't think that Bannavem Taberiae has been
identified.  I suspect that it was south of Hadrian's Wall because,
Patrick's family obviously lived in a "Romanized" community.  His father
was a decurion and Bannavem Taberniae is refered to in "Confessio" as a
vicus, which would be smaller than a "colonia" but neverthe less a decent
sized place.  I'd place it in Wales, assuming close access to the sea for
those Irish raiders that attacked his home when he was a teen.

Dennis Doyle <[log in to unmask]>