Subject: Scots vs. Irish Question
From: Alicia Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 7 Feb 1994 16:02:00 CDT

Hello!

I am an archaeology graduate student new to the list.  This whole question of
varying Celtic ethnicities is extremely interesting - whether modern data or
historical information is used.  Whether or not such information could be
reconstructed from the archaeological record is another interesting issue.  This
is a roundabout way of coming to the point... how are Picts defined anyway?  Did
the Romans sort of put up Hadrian's Wall and decide that everyone to the North
got to be called a Pict from then on?  What information do we have of
homogeneity (however you would like to define it) among the people who were
originally designated Picts?

Thanks for your insights!

Alicia Wise