Subject: Cage match!! Scots vs. Irishmen
From: "Thomas J. Delaney III" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 7 Feb 1994 11:30:37 -0600

Hi folks..(and a hearty hello to my dad who just joined the list)...

     I'm pretty sure Michael Newton knows a hell of a lot more about Celtic and
Gaeic matters than I, but I don't think I would venture to treat Scots much the
same as the inhabitants of Ireland as far as history and mythology goes.  It is
probably very astute to note that both of these groups have many common
prehistoric antecedents...but I would bear in mind the fact that there was
actually a great deal of cultural diversity in Ireland for a while, given the
separate origins and lifestyles of groups such as the Firbolg (who did inhabit a
western portion of Scotland for a while, but did not assimilate well at all with
the other local inhabitants), the Tuatha De Danaan, and then also the Milesians.
Given their differences in lifestyles, I would suppose that thgey had matching
religious and traditional differences as well.  Most importantly, they were
pretty different from the inhabitants of what we call Scotland now....and I
think some Roman chroniclers may have spoken to these differences...you know
like they didn't paint themselves blue or play golf a lot.

     Now..again there's a slow mutter "What's this about Cuchullain bein' a
pict!?" as somebody rolls his sleeves up and tips his cap forward from the back.
But seriously...(Mr. Newton...Michael)...does this mean simply and only that he
was born of biological pict parents...or did he do...well...pictish things...
later in his life as well? Did he secretly paint himself blue once in a while
when he was alone in his tent?  Did he pack a 5-iron on his chariot?

 Later,

td (#3)

School Psychology Program  *  "Oh yeah....oh yeah..........             *
University of Minnesota    *     ...Everything...everything.....        *
350 Elliott Hall           *     everything's gonna be alright          *
75 East River Rd.          *     this mornin' !                         *
Mineapolis, MN  55455      *                     - Muddy Waters         *