Subject: Reentry
From: Ellen Sinatra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 1 Feb 1994 20:55:00 -0800

Today I was sitting in a class listening to my professor play some incredibly
beautiful music...  He was improvising on Arabic modes, and the music was
intimate and seductive.  He was obviously transported to another world as he
was playing, and as I listened, I found myself drawn into that beautiful
place.

When he finished, the whole room inhaled quietly...   Then he put down his
instrument and got back to the discussion at hand.

Later, I asked him how he moves so (what appears to be) easily from one world
to another like that.  I know that's one of "those" almost-silly questions,
but it does amaze me to see that happen.  I also know I do it -- I also go
in and out of that transformed state, at least most of the time.  Anyway, he
told me that for him, each state is like a home --- he moves from one home to
another - and sometimes they overlap...  Maybe this is not so much about the
depth of the experiences, but rather our perception of them?

We have been talking here about how we are when we perform - play music.  I'd
love to know if any of you guys have your own stories about re-entering the
real world after becoming part of the music.  Is it easy for you?

Thanks,
Ellen Sinatra