Subject: Re: Rowan trees
From: john pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 6 Feb 1994 15:27:57 EST

>Dear Douglas and others:
I have read a lot of Celtic folklore that talks about the
> Rowan tree as a magical tree - especially in warding off the
> Fair Folk.
> I have also heard this tree is also known as either the
> Mountain Ash or the Mountain Laurel, and I am hoping to
> get clarification as to specifically what the Celts consider
> a Rowan tree.
> The common name would be appreciated, and if I could get
> the Latin horticultural name, that would be ideal.
> Thanks -
> Douglas MacGowan
I'm no expert on the Celtic "Rowan tree" (or, really, on the rest
either!)--but I do believe that the Mountain Laurel is kalmia latifolia,
and, at least in U
S, does not reach "tree" proportions.
Others will undoubtedly know the positive side, as against this slight
John Pearce
Welsh Society of Fredericksburg [Virginia]