Subject: Re: history
From: Colin Mackenzie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Feb 1994 21:18:12 AST

        I have also just joined the net, although I have been monitoring it
for several weeks. For our Celtic Lit. class last year we used Ancient Irish
Tales, as well as Kinsella's Tain bo Cuailnge(sp?), and while I found the
later to be an exhilirating translation of one of the central epics of the
Ulster cycle, I would suggest reading AIT first, if what you want is a
sampling of irish mythology. The book is prohibitively expensive here in Nova
Scotia, selling for between $60-$80 (CA), and is extremely difficult to find
second hand. It is definitely a keeper if you can get your hands on it.

        I was informed by our bookstore that the book is currently out of
print, which might account for the high price I paid last year. I did have a
few problems with it though; I realize it is meant to offer a maximum
number of examples from the Irish sagas, but I found that it accomplished
this through an editorial compression of the tales (in some spots an
editorial paragraph is inserted for pages of prose, ruining the unique
rhythm and feel of these stories). Since we are not endowed on our small
campus with a large research library, AIT is one of the only sources I had
when researching a report on the phantom chariot of Cu Chulainn (Siabur
Charpat Con Culainn (sp? X2)), which necessarily affected the quality of
my paper. Basically my point (which I tend to lose) is that in my esteemed
undergrad opinion (just kidding), AIT is fine for reading material, but
you should probably look for something else if you want to get serious
about delving into the mists (or is it myths) of irish history. This is
however only one opinion, and if AIT could be had in a softcover edition or
elsewise at a more economical price, I would say that it is well worth
reading.

        I would be interested in knowing if there is a softcover version
of AIT available, and where it might be found, as the department is I
believe surviving on a few shared copies of the book in the reserve library.

Cailean MacCoinnich
`Cuidich an Righ'