Subject: Robin Hood
From: Joe Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 26 Feb 1994 09:22:16 EDT

Does anyone know if the BBC's _Robin Hood_ that Elizabeth recently referred to
is a series or a stand-alone movie? I know there's a Robin Hood series showing
on PBS in the States; are they the same thing?

As long as we're on the subject, I have a few friends who liked a version
shown on Fox TV in the US a few years ago. They prized it for the historical
accuracy, coming as it did on the heels of Kevin Costner's film. I have to
admit, some of the ideas in it (like giving the Normans relatively modern
French accents to distinguish them from the Saxons/English/good side) were
interesting choices. Unfortunately, my personal opinion is that this movie was
one of the best cures for insomnia I've ever seen. Lots of period atmosphere;
no rising dramatic action whatsoever. But if you're interested in film
versions of Robin Hood, it's on video for you to make your own choice.

Joe Murphy
Circulation Services
CUA Mullen Library
(202) 319-5060