Subject: Re: gaelic football
From: David Volmut <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 26 Feb 1994 00:49:20 +22311624

On Fri, 25 Feb 1994, Elisabeth Eilir Rowan wrote:

> Polo had a similar beginning.  The Mongols played it with the
> carcass of an enemy, and a version is still played in Afghanistan
> with a pig, I think.

I took a class last semester dealing with the Huns Turks and Mongols. In
the class, we saw a film about a nomadic tribe in Afghanistan. The tribe
played a game on horse back passing around a decapitated goat or sheep.
The object appeared to see who could take the carass and run it to the
opposite end of the river bank. The game lasted for hours. Games such as
this allow nomadic cultures to continue to practice and display their
horsemenship.

DMV