Subject: Re: history
From: Michael Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Feb 1994 09:36:50 -0800

On Feb 3,  8:30pm, Bill McGee wrote:
> look for the CLASSIC Irish history, _The Story of the Irish Race_ by
> Seumas MacManus.  Probably OP, many libraries still have it.

I swear I've seen a cheap reprint of this sometime in the past
few years, but I can't find a record of it.  Anyway, keep
in mind the idea of "myths"  when you read it.

I like Foster's "History of Modern Ireland".  It races thru
the period 1600-1972 (& despite the fleetness, it's quite lengthy).
It is sort of in the revisionist school of Irish history writing
(as opposed to, say, the Republican historians or the British
historians of the same time period).  Good bibliography.