Subject: coarb question and celibacy
From: Dorothy Africa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 24 Feb 1994 20:27:09 -0500

Celibacy is a moot, not to say foreign, concept for Ireland.  Church offices
do become inherited within families, sometimes father to son, but coarb is
not so literally linked to this practice of family inheritance.  I am
curious as to where you read about St. Columba as opposing the
practice, Ms. Leith, since Iona's abbots are a stellar example of the abbacy
as a family office.  If you could let me know, on or off the Celtic-L list,
I'd appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.