Subject: Gaelic football anyone?
From: "Thomas J. Delaney III" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 24 Feb 1994 13:09:22 -0600

Hey Sports Fans -

     Got a question....can anybody out there explain to me the rules for Gaelic
Football.  I played rugby for my college (I was a wing-forward when I wasn't
playing wing with the backs), and sometimes we would play the variant Australian
football...but I've also heard of this Gaelic football and want to know how one
goes about playing.  Is the size of the pitch the same as rugby? What about
posts?  Actually - how do you score?  Anything you know would be helpful.

     I think my father once told me it used to be played between two parishes,
and basically two teams would tackle each other and run back and forth between
two church buildings (which could be miles) until somebody tounched the ball to
the steps of the church.  Does anybody even play this game anymore, and if so
what is it's modern equivalent like?

     And if you live in Minnesota - I still have my rugby cleats so maybe we can
get together and give it a whirl?

     Thinking about it - it seems to me that those upwardly mobile Rugby
students are always credited with creating the game when somebody picked up the
soccer ball and ran with it. But if Gaelic football predates the much more
refined game of soccer - well maybe that guy that picked up the ball was just
playing by older rules huh?  Surely we didn't blow up pig bladders or whatever
one day and then said, "O.K. ...Sreng...Nuada...Breas...the rule is you can only
kick the bladder...you can't touch it with your hands...or...uh...hand in your
case Nuada...and there'll be no bumping or grabbing or berserking or any other
of that 'blood fury' nonsense...right?"

Well, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

School Psychology Program  *  "Oh yeah....oh yeah..........             *
University of Minnesota    *     ...Everything...everything.....        *
350 Elliott Hall           *     everything's gonna be alright          *
75 East River Rd.          *     this mornin' !                         *
Mineapolis, MN  55455      *                     - Muddy Waters         *