Subject: Re: Celtic names
From: Ossian Gillebert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Feb 1994 17:37:33 -0500

> I would like some information, if anyone out there might have it.  I have
> always been interested in personal names and their meanings.  Occasionally,
> I play with what I would name my future children (I don't know, maybe I'm
> weird, maybe it's a "female" thing).  My problem is that even among some
> Pagans, like myself, there is a desire for "godparents" who would be
> responsible for a child's religious upbring should the parent be unable
Elizabeth,
I too have this problem Not so much with children but in assigning the
names to New students in The comhbha/nn.  Therefore I donot look to
References suchas Name dictionaries but into The Gaelic Dictionaries ie:
Scottish since the Gaelic Scholars were allowed to Keep the old tales
alive where the irish were outlawed from the same.  The Look to the Old Irish
Sean Gaeilge and then finally the Modern Irish Dictionaries. Here's a Clue;
John= Sean in modern Irish But = Eoin, Eun, Iuin, & Ian in the Scots. This
name is Sean refering to Oldness but The Scots set refer to Birds and the
Mysteries and divinitory powers of them. My son's Name Gaelan refers to a
full or happy Celt, while Gaellann would be the Sword of the Gaels.  The
former is purported to be one of the Kings of the Daoine Maith ( The Good
People, While the latter is the name of a Druidh Soldier.  Tallimh (Talia)
is a generative form of "The Earth" but the same name is one of the Muses
in Greco-Latin lore.  Also One of My students Took the Germanic Name Idhunn
the goddess of renewal and Reincarnation while the Name E/dain or Fiadhain
Prounounced (E-de un) is the Goddess of Renewal and rejuvination. The
List of course is endless. The Word in Gaelic Tailmhtu/ means shaper or former
withe the rootword Talmh Meaning Earth ,while the God Lugh's mother is Named
Tailtu. The Simplest complexity is to make up your on Combination.  Such
as The Scots spelling of Lugh is Loagh ant the word for lantern is Lochran
os combine the two and get Loaghrian The light of the Sun or Sunny countenence
which is equal to Ogma Grianneach The Horned God of the Golden Tongue and
Honey like speech . The former I would name a child The latter sounds a
bit like a charicter from "trek"
Any way enough from me ...Se/anta do bheatha (Blessed be your life)
Ossian

    ***************** An bailedo/ir fia/in gaelach ******************
        ** Another Son of Erin, after singin' for his Supper! **