Subject: Celtic names
From: Elisabeth Rowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Feb 1994 15:13:34 EST

I would like some information, if anyone out there might have it.  I have
always been interested in personal names and their meanings.  Occasionally,
I play with what I would name my future children (I don't know, maybe I'm
weird, maybe it's a "female" thing).  My problem is that even among some
Pagans, like myself, there is a desire for "godparents" who would be
responsible for a child's religious upbring should the parent be unable
to fulfil this.  (This is doubly important in a minority religion such
as mine.)  Anyway, I would like to give a Celtic version of a friend's
name to a daughter, in recognition of her role of godmother.  This would
be something akin to "Sinead", "Sian", "Sheena", etc., in otherwords,
names generally held to be a Celtic variety of the Hebrew "John".  The
meaning of this is something akin to "the grace of Jehovah".  Now, while
I have a Hebrew name, it only implies a sense of "god" or even "gods"--
El "god" or elohim "gods" and sheba "oath".  That's still fairly generic.
But obviously I wouldn't want to dedicate my child, so to speak, to a
god I do not worship.  Does anyone know if names such as Sean, etc., which
are given as Gaelic or Welsh counterparts of Biblical names really are such
(i.e., based on the sound of a Hebrew-Latin original) or if in fact they
were indigenous names whose original meanings were lost and modern
name dictionaries assume to be Hebraic in origin?  I have heard of a
British deity, Sioni, who was associated with the sea.  Could this
be a more likely derivation?  It may seem trivial, but I like my
details orderly--librarian's curse.  I'd appreciate any help.

                                            Thanks,

                                               Elisabeth Eilir Rowan