Subject: Re: Cahill's Celtic Genocide Questions
From: Wayne Crotts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Feb 1994 09:09:02 EST5EDT

Mr. Cahill

I guess you have an interesting hypothesis.  Do some research to
see what weight such Roman influences had and now have.   I do
think you have some sustantial problems to overcome.  For one thing
you will have to define what is the Celtic race as to what we think
about it now; as by your own theory, our Romanized culture would
have distorted completely any definition of who the Celts were.
    Research on how the eastern religion of Christianity became
Romanized as well as the differences between the initial Celtic
acceptance of Christianity versus when it was Romanized perhaps
would be a good place to begin.

Don't get me wrong.  Some interesting research could result,
especially to how any Roman prejudices infiltrated the Roman church
and even perhaps the Protestant churches after the Reformation.

However, in your first mail, you used the word genicide.  If you use
such sweeping statements, you should back yourself with plenty of
referenced backed facts and put it in a thesis, dissertation, or even a
book.  However, a mailing list just doesn't cut it.

wayne

PS> By the way, I did not mean to suggest that Christian societies
could not be brutal.  (Note double negative).  I meant only that
according to sources we have, the Celts sacrificed Roman soldiers as
a homage to the gods for their victory whereas the misguided
crusaders killed rampantly persons they considered unworthy of
God's love.  The motives for the bloodshed are vastly different here.

"Still at the end of every hard day
  people find some reason to believe."
          Bruce Springsteen  *Nebraska*

            Wayne, 1st door on the left in C.