Subject: Coarb
From: DENISE INGLIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 22 Feb 1994 19:29:58 -0600

While going through Gwynn's catalogue of Irish monasteries (sorry forgot
the title) I came across the word "coarb."  St. Comgall is referred to as
"ab. and coarb" .  Is this an abbreviation for "co-archbishop?" It wasn't
listed in Gwynn's list of abbreviations.  "Ab.", I know, is "abbot."
Butler, in his _Lives of the Saints_ only refers to him as "the Abbot of
Bangor."

Denise Inglis