Subject: Re: Galicia
From: Michael Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 18 Feb 1994 08:34:54 GMT

| The Galicia in Spain is connected to the Celtic tradition.

  Historically, yes.  However, what is left is rather minor and residual.
As they do not speak a Celtic language, they cannot be considered Celtic
anymore.

| I have a close friend whose father is from that region.
| It is true that the Celtic traditions mixed in with some Castillian
| traditions.
| On a bottle of imported 'cider' there is a picture of a man in the traditional
| dress of the region and he is holding bagpipes.

  Bagpipes are not specifically Celtic.

| The traditional dress looks Celtic.

  What is "Celtic" dress?  There's no such animal.

| The language is different than Spanish, I have seen a primary
| instrution book on the language. It also varies from the Portuguese.

  Simply because it is different doesn't mean it is Celtic.

| I was able to look through a picture book on the region, the terrrain
| mimics somewhat the rolling green hills. I was told that it rains there

  Such geographical and meterological phenomena is not criteria for
Celticity.

  On the other hand, there are some interesting articles people have
written about residual Celtic traditions in areas such as this.  There
is an article on traditions of stone boats in France and Spain in the
latest "Etudes Celtiques", and something I've seen a reference to about
Celtic traditions on a small island off the Spanish coast.