Subject: euro-celts
From: Leslie Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 Feb 1994 08:38:01 -0800

in further response to requests for information on the celts in
europe generally, there's a recent book called Towns, Villages, and
Countryside of Celtic Europe by francoise audouze and olivier
bu"chenschu"tz, published by indiana university press (1992), which
covers the material culture of bronze- and iron-age celts, and has
very good coverage of *all* of europe.  i also highly recommend j-l
brunaux's Celtic Gaul:  Gods, Rites, and Sanctuaries, publisher and
exact date of which escape me at the moment (originally in french,
1986, i think it came out in english in about 1990-91).  his
organization of the material enabled me to finally make sense of what
had previously seemed to be a morass of randomly assorted bits and
pieces of information.

it seems to me that there is finally beginning to be some
interconnection amongst the various branches of celtic studies.
previously, it seemed to me that american and british scholars were
almost entirely focussed on the celts of britain and ireland in the
iron age and medieval age, and even brittany recieved only cursory
attemetion; although archaeology was acknowleged, most of them were
primarily literary scholars.  french scholars, however, focussed
almost solely on bronze age and iron age celts, and on archaeological
studies; the only literary remains studies were inscriptions.  (these
are, of course, only broad generalizations!)  in the past 5 years or
so, however, i see more scholars making connections between the
continental and insular celts, more people interested in learning
breton and scots gaelic (rather than concentrating on just irish and
welsh), and just a wider availablility of books by people of all
disciplines--i guess i'm seeing celtic studies becoming more truly
interdisciplinary.  and i think it's great.

leslie jones