Subject: Re: Roman Genocide
From: Joe Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 Feb 1994 10:11:27 EDT

It seems to me, if you follow Michael Newton's logic that some cultures are
predisposed to brutality and conquest, then you find yourself in the Darwinist
trap that the prey is as much at "fault" for its situation as the predator.
Further, this leads me to the relativistic idea that neither is at fault at
all; it's only "nature's way." Maybe it's humano-centric, but I'd prefer to
think that we're better than that. Personally, I believe that all humans have
approximately equal dispositions toward violence and possession of their local
environment; different societies have merely channeled that energy into
different activities. That's learned, not predisposed.

The funny thing is, that our ending moralistic diatribes (which I apply in
full force to my first letter) fundamentally agree. I don't mean to advance
any of my beliefs about people as an excuse to give up. I do celebrate our
differences; we cannot "get past" our fear of them without appreciating them.
The struggle with our natural tendencies is the greatest human drama.

Joe Murphy
Circulation Services
CUA Mullen Library
(202) 319-5060