Subject: Re: Romans - Bias against Celts lasts today.
From: Janet Wallwork <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 Feb 1994 10:36:48 GMT

John Cahill wrote:

> Was the granting of Ireland to the King of England in the 11th
>Century by  Pope Gregory another Roman attempt to bring the unruly
>Irish Celts in line???

   I'm not sure Ireland ever was "granted" to King Henry. The only
evidence for this is the reference to a papal bull "Laudabiliter" in
the writings on Ireland by Giraldus Cambrensis. He was toadying to
the King in the hope of advancement and was commissioned to write some
fairly vitriolic attacks on all things Irish. All subsequent refernces
to this Papal Bull derive from Giraldus. I understand that in the
19th century - when Irish history was being re-evaluated - historians
looked for a copy of this Bull, and failed to find one - in Ireland,
England or Rome. The Papal Archives had neither trace of, nor
reference to, such a document. So maybe it never existed?

   Henry wanted Ireland because he had ambitions in France, and he
wanted to guard his back - he didn't like the idea of France, Spain
or anyone else setting up alliances with the Irish Kings to attack
England from the rear whilst he was defending/expanding his French
territories.