Subject: Re: My name...
From: Michael Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 Feb 1994 08:23:41 GMT

|         My mother--her maiden-name is MURRAY.  Her side of the family has
| descent records.  Her grandmother came over from Ireland.  She has 6
| sisters with red-hair and no brothers.  Most of her aunts have red hair
| too.  What's the relevance of red-hair anyway?  Is Murray Scottish or
| Irish...or what?  I am curious.  I have seen the work so far.  I will not

  The name "Murray" is Scottish, and comes from the area of the Moray
firth.  It's really Pictish in origin, if you want to be specific.
The kingdom of Moray was the last independent Pictish kingdom, lasting until
about the 11th century before being absorbed by the Scots.
  It's possible that there may be independently derived Irish "Murray"s as
well.