Subject: Re: Gauls and Celts
From: Kevin Micheal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 Feb 1994 13:20:08 -0800

>I've been lurking here for a few weeks and have found the discussions very
>interesting.  In addition to being of primarily Scottish/Irish heritage,
>I'm also something of a hispanophile, so I thought I'd chime in here to
>mention that Galicia is also the name of the autonomous region in the
>Northwest of Spain.

Likewise, though my blood heritage is more Irish than anything else, I too
have a strong attraction to things Spanish.  (Irish author, Ian Gibson, who
wrote a rather extensive biography of Lorca, as well as another piece on
Spain called Fire in the Blood, mentions in the latter that the Irish
possess an innate draw to Spain, and I've noticed recently that many Irish
traditional folk songs often make mention of "Spainne," usually as a
metaphor for distant and exotic lands.)

But, I really wanted to share some things I've picked up related to Spain
and the Celts over the years.

I've read that there was a lot of trade that went on between Northwest Spain
(i.e. Galicia) and Ireland, hence the shared cultural items, like bagpipes
and music.  (Check out any of Milladoiro's recordings [Green Linnet records
in the U.S.] and you'll hear that traditional Gallego music resembles
Irish/Scottish music a lot.)  I've been to Galicia, and it's very green with
thatched-rooved, stone houses and stone walls.

My particular Spanish interests lean toward the Northeast, or Catalunya.  A
while back, I read a book about the development of the Catalan language, and
learned, that due to less influence by the Arab invaders from the south, it
has retained more Celtiberian influences than the Spanish language.  The
Celtiberian period in Spanish history, I believe, was coincident with the
Greek and Roman colonies on the coast, and represented a blend of the native
Iberian tribes and the Celtic tribes that had crossed the Pyrenees.

Basque is believed by some to be the surviving language of the Iberians

According to this book about Catalan, many dialects that were/are spoken in
the Pyrenees, such as aranes, a dialect of Gascon, have retained traits of
the pre-Roman Celtiberian languages once spoken throughout the peninsula,
often in certain vocabulary, sounds, or grammatical features.  This is due
to the fact that their geographic remoteness brought them less consistent
contact with the Latin speaking colonists, and almost no contact with the
Arabs.

Right now this is off the top of my head, so I can't provide examples, but I
was definitely intrigued by this, since it was new to me when I read it.  I
know for sure that there are definitely words in Catalan that do not seem to
be of Latinate origin, and this would explain where they come from.