Subject: Re: Romans - Bias against Celts lasts today.
From: Bill McGee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 Feb 1994 09:16:33 -0600

On Tue, 15 Feb 1994, John Cahill wrote:

> The Romans were successful at many times in history by inciting Celts to fight
> OTHER Celts and mop up what's left.  It seems the Celts didn't need much
> encouragement to have a good "scrap" with other Celts.   Is Northern Ireland
> just another example of this in modern times where descendants of Scottish
> Celts are fighting the descendants of Irish Celts over lands and property
> redistributed by the Roman successors in London, England in the late 17th
> century??   I hate to think that Celts are fighting Celts to do Caesar's dirty
> work!!!
>
> What do You Think?

Regarding your comment on Scottish Celts fighting with the descendents of
Irish Celts, I would recommend reading the following.  It has an excellent
background of the situation up to 1969.  You will need to look at some other
materials to deal with the events of the 25 years since then.

 70-150892: Fitz Gibbon, Constantine.  Red Hand; the Ulster Colony.  [1st
     ed. in the U.S.]  Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, 1972 [c1971]  367 p.
     illus. 22 cm.
     LC CALL NUMBER: DA990.U46 F48 1972

Bill McGee, :-{)>