Subject: Roman Genocide
From: Joe Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 Feb 1994 10:57:14 EDT

Stepping on a pseudo-revolutionary soapbox for a moment, the "Roman" genocide
of the Irish looks like normal political expansion to me. Not to say that it
isn't wrong and tragic. A dominant culture either assimilates or destroys that
which it fears. It's still going on, from Sarajevo to Vanilla Ice. The main
"crime" of the Irish is that they never got the chance to be dominant.
Honestly, if they were given that chance, I'd bet we could read about a long
and bloody history of the Irish persecuting the English and whomever else was
within reach. In fact, didn't I read something about the Tuatha De Dannan
kicking out some race that was already in Ireland when they came?

Ultimately, we have to reach further than common racial ancestry to bring
peace to Northern Ireland and the rest of the world. It all sounds like
cliches by now, but we've got to rely on our common human ancestry to get past
our diversities of color, class, and creed.

Joe Murphy
Circulation Services
CUA Mullen Library
(202) 319-5060