Subject: Re: Gauls
From: Michael Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 Feb 1994 14:01:05 GMT

|     If I remember, Caesar tells us that these tribes calleedd themselves
| Kelts.

  The Greeks record an early use of the term "Keltoi", though we don't
know who or from where the name comes, or what it means.

| Nemedians aweresupposed to have passedhropug through there on their route
| from Scythia to Ireland.

  This is synthetic pseudo-history, to explain the name "Scotia" I think.

|      Gaelic does not come from a Welsh word, but  rather from Gaodhal,
| one of the leaders of the Nemedians, I belikevceeve.

  No, it's from the P-Celtic name for them.

|      "Welsh," on the otherhand, is the same woord as "Vlach" and means
| strangers., according to the OED.

  Yes, the English invaders had the nerve to call the natives "foriegners".
They've not changed much in 2,000 years.
  The same root gave the name "Wallace" in Scotland.