Subject: Re: La Tene. Museum?
From: Janet Wallwork <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 Feb 1994 10:32:48 GMT

 John Cahill wrote
>                                              ....... and I gather
> there is a major exhibit in a museum at Neuchatel close by from the La Tene
> site at LAke Neuchatel. (I am in California)
> Does anyone know the name of the museum?   Any details of what can be seen at
> the archaelogical site or in the museum?
I haven't visited the museum (my only visit to Neuchatel was as a
child who hadn't heard of the Celts!) but the Museums Directory lists
it as
   Musee Cantonal d'Archeologie
   7, Avenue du Peyrou
   2000 Neuchatel
   Curator: Michel Egloff
It is described as having Celtic, Roman and Burgundian material.
Perhaps you will post a description of it when you get back.
> Also I came across some papers from a major Celtic Exhibition in Venice in
> 1991.  Are exhibitions/conferences like this held regularly?  How often?
>  Where??
I went to the Venic exhibition, which was organised as a celebration
of the Single European Market (European Comunity) by the Fiat Car
It was certainly a once-in-a-lifetime event, and I cannot see
anything on that scale ever happening again. The opening up of
Eastern Europe meant that a lot of countries sent along items which
had never been sent abroad before. I can't remember the precise
statistics, but it was something like 2,000 items from 200 museums in
24 countries.
 I'm sure that other Celtic exhibitions on a smaller scale will take
place, and I hope that if anyone on the list hears of any they will
post a messsage.
There are good collections of Celtic material in National
Collections; the National Museum of Ireland in Dublin has a stunning
dispay, and there is material in the St.Germain museum in Paris.
Conferences happen all the time, but there's no way of hearing about
them. I understand there was one in Uppsala, Sweden last week, but I
heard nothing about it. And one in Cardiff late last year - but the
publicity was ineffectual, I heard about it three days before it
happened. Our University has a Celtic Studies Dept. and THEY didn't
know about it!! So any information would be a service to list members.
Janet L.Wallwork
John Rylands University Library of Manchester.