Subject: FW: Celts Rampaging, II
From: ReeseW <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 Feb 1994 10:47:17 +0000

_____________________________________________________________________=
__________
=46rom: DalyJ on Wed, Feb 16, 1994 10:30
Subject: RE: Celts Rampaging, II
To: DalyJ; ReeseW

I never heard before of any Irish mercenaries being hired by the Athe=
nians
during P. war; the story sounds highly unlikely.  Regarding Celtic st=
ereotypes,
I believe=D1but am not sure=D1that Cicero wrote something (a letter, =
probably)
talking about the Britons suitability as slaves; I think he suggested=
 they
could be trained up to only a certain point. The business about the s=
eemingly
immortal and ubiquitous Brennus may be explained, I read somewhere so=
metime, by
"Brennus" having possibly been a title rather than a name, just as "S=
urenas"
may have been among the Parthians.=20