Subject: Re: Gauls and Celts
From: Mel Vassey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 15 Feb 1994 22:25:19 -0600

On Tue, 15 Feb 1994, Thomas J. Delaney III wrote:

> Speaking of the extent of Gallic minions, and place names etc.,  there is an
> area in southwestern Poland called Galicia, where my greatgrandfather was from
   .
> Does this region have any connection with the Gallic peoples as well?  I suppo
   se
> if the Celts extended all the way to Turkey, they certainly must have had some
> settlement of Poland as it is a perfect crossroads between western Europe and
> Asia Minor.

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and have found the discussions very
interesting.  In addition to being of primarily Scottish/Irish heritage,
I'm also something of a hispanophile, so I thought I'd chime in here to
mention that Galicia is also the name of the autonomous region in the
Northwest of Spain.  It is a region that is often likened to Scotland in
appearance.  The language now spoken in the region is Gallego, a dialect
somewhat intermediate between Spanish and Portuguese.  I don't really know
anything about Celtic cultures in the region, though.  As an aside, Tom,
do you ever go to the Half Time Rec?

Mel Vassey
Vet Med '94
"porque o vento muxe coma unha vaca" - Garcia Lorca, "Poemas Galegos"