Subject: Celts Rampaging, II
From: John Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 15 Feb 1994 14:13:50 +0000

It's hard to believe that the Athenians would
have bothered to go so far as Ireland for
mercenaries, esp. in the Peloponnesian War,
where the conscious (if not always followed)
strategy was to fight no land battles at all, but
to rely on a navy of citizen-sailors.  The reference,
if such exists, is surely late and unreliable.  BUT
still interesting, for antique views on Celts.

The stereotyped view (in Livy, Florus, et. al) was
that the Celts were very tall.  As all barbarians,
they were susceptible to drink and lewd
behavior.

The stereotyping seems to extend even to historical
events themselves.  I'm thinking, for instance, of the
fact that the leader of the Gauls who tried to take
Delphi was given in the histories the same same as the
supposed leader of the Gauls who sacked Rome some 120
years earlier -- Brennus.

And I must correct some misinformation on
my part from yesterday.  Scripture students
assure me that the Letter to the Galatians is about
as trustworthily Pauline as these things get.

John T. Quin