Subject: Medieval Welsh
From: "Maurice Richard Myers III." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 2 Feb 1994 14:33:05 -0500

Deep in the middle of studying my vocabulary for tomorrow's class, this
near-42 year old new student was curious about how many people are studying
Medieval or even Modern Welsh in the world.  I had learned some very strained
pronunciations in the Gymanfa Ganu culture of my home community of Gomer,
Ohio, but that was only an annual straining, and not a steady exercise.  I
didn't even know one could study Welsh until I asked the right questions in
the right quarters and found Gareth Morgan in the Classics Department at the
University of Texas in Austin.

Also, for those on the Welsh-L, please keep some of the English on the
messages, just to help those of us who are new stumblers in the discipline.
I look forward with some trepidation to my coming visit to Aberyswyth in July
and pray that I won't seem the total twit I'll be feeling starting at 9 am
CST tomorrow.

As ever,
M. Richard Myers III

PS  Thanks to those who said I still should go over and check out Wales.  I
didn't mean to seem a coward, but I don't want to help a repressive  system,
either.  No guts, no glory, but I'm still deciphering  those mutations and
lenitions.  Onward through the fog!