Subject: Gauls and Celts
From: Joe Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 15 Feb 1994 10:11:39 EDT

I constantly feel like I'm asking terribly obvious questions in Remedial
Celtology, but I'm back to try your patience again. Am I to infer that the
Gauls actually were Celts? I'd always thought of them as more, well, Gallic,
that is to say, French. (I admit it. When I heard "omnis gallia tres partes
divisus est," or whatever Caesar did say, I'd sort of envisioned Charles
DeGaulle and Maurice Chevalier in period costume.) B-) I knew that there were
Celtic tribes in Brittany, but I wasn't aware that their power had extended so
far at one time. Am I also to understand that Gaul, Galatian, and Gaelic are
from similar roots?

Joe Murphy
Circulation Services
CUA Mullen Library