Subject: physiognomy
From: User13 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 13 Feb 1994 09:52:23 CST

As many have seen I am looking for information concerning
Chaucer's use of physiognomy in the Canterbury Tales.
Following are the physical descriptions that I got from
reading the prologue.

Pardoner
--------
thin hair
yellow hair
smooth hair
hair down to shoulders
bulging eyeballs
small goad-like voice
couldn't grow hair on face
sweet tongued
possibly castrated

Summoner
--------
very red face
had carbuncles
narrow eyes
hot and lecherous
black scabby brows
thin beard
pimples
large garland
deep bass voice

Reeve
-----
old
choleric
thin
beard close shaven
hair cut above his ears
"docked on top/ Just like a priest"
lean legs(no calves)

Miller
------
big man, not fat, 224 pounds or 16 stones
"great stout fellow big in brawn and bone"
"broad, knotty, and short-shouldered
broad, red beard
red hair on wart on nose
black wide nostrils
mouth like "a furnace door"

Monk
----
Bald and shiny head
greasy face
fat
"prominent eyeballs never settled"
eyes glittered
not pale skinned
"like a swan best, and roasted whole"

Nun
---
"sang. . . with a fine intoning through her nose"
"spoke daintily"
elegent nose
"eyes glass grey"
small, soft, red mouth
wide forhead
full grown woman

The information that I am looking for is what a physiognomist
would say concerning these features.  Also, any comments on
the characters themselves, their stories or physiognomy in
general would be appreciated.

I have not received any information about this list so I
posted this anyway, I hope it is not an inappropriate
discussion for this list.  Since I have not received any
information about this list I have also not subscribed so if
you would like to respond please send me email.

                                Thanx
                                    Dean Piper