Subject: physiognomy
From: User13 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 13 Feb 1994 09:52:23 CST

As many have seen I am looking for information concerning
Chaucer's use of physiognomy in the Canterbury Tales.
Following are the physical descriptions that I got from
reading the prologue.
thin hair
yellow hair
smooth hair
hair down to shoulders
bulging eyeballs
small goad-like voice
couldn't grow hair on face
sweet tongued
possibly castrated
very red face
had carbuncles
narrow eyes
hot and lecherous
black scabby brows
thin beard
large garland
deep bass voice
beard close shaven
hair cut above his ears
"docked on top/ Just like a priest"
lean legs(no calves)
big man, not fat, 224 pounds or 16 stones
"great stout fellow big in brawn and bone"
"broad, knotty, and short-shouldered
broad, red beard
red hair on wart on nose
black wide nostrils
mouth like "a furnace door"
Bald and shiny head
greasy face
"prominent eyeballs never settled"
eyes glittered
not pale skinned
"like a swan best, and roasted whole"
"sang. . . with a fine intoning through her nose"
"spoke daintily"
elegent nose
"eyes glass grey"
small, soft, red mouth
wide forhead
full grown woman
The information that I am looking for is what a physiognomist
would say concerning these features.  Also, any comments on
the characters themselves, their stories or physiognomy in
general would be appreciated.
I have not received any information about this list so I
posted this anyway, I hope it is not an inappropriate
discussion for this list.  Since I have not received any
information about this list I have also not subscribed so if
you would like to respond please send me email.
                                    Dean Piper