Subject: Re: Rowan trees, etc.
From: Liam O/ hAirt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 12 Feb 1994 16:49:41 EST

I hadn't really identified the song, with wren songs. The blackbird in the
title seems to simply be a term of endearment for the singer's love, who
deserts him. (Though it may of course have  something to do with the story,
but from what i know about blackbird lore, it doesn't quite fit.) It was the
use of alder and holly for the casket making that struck me, as they both seem
highly impracticle woods of which to build a box. Holly would make sence, as
it's associated with rebirth, but i'm at a loss for alder. anyone have any
alder lore hanging about in their brains...